About the author : Rodrigo Branco Matsumoto
Rodrigo is a talented Chief Remote Pilot at Sky Perth, a top-notch video production company based in Perth. With over seven years of experience in the field, Rodrigo has established himself as a creative and innovative producer, delivering captivating content for various platforms, including Netflix, AppleTV+, Disney+, SBS On Demand, and ZDF (German television broadcaster).
With a deep passion for aerial videography and photography, Rodrigo leverages his technical expertise to produce stunning visuals for a range of clients. His extensive portfolio showcases his ability to tell compelling stories through visual storytelling, making him a valuable asset to the Sky Perth team.
Rodrigo's professional, friendly approach and bold vision make him a sought-after producer. Whether working on documentaries or TV series, Rodrigo's commitment to delivering high-quality content is evident in every project he takes on.
As the filmmaking industry continues to evolve, so does the technology used in film production. One area that has seen massive advancement is aerial filming, thanks to the development of drones, helicopters, and aeroplanes. These aircraft have opened up various possibilities for filmmakers to capture stunning visuals from unique angles. But beyond their apparent applications in film production, what other roles do these aircraft play on set?
Let’s embark together and read seven ways in which aeroplanes, drones, and helicopters can be used in filmmaking.
- Get the Perfect Angle—One of the most obvious benefits of using aeroplanes, drones and helicopters in filming is that they allow you to get shots from previously impossible angles. This can be especially useful if you need an aerial view or a sweeping shot that would otherwise be difficult or expensive to achieve. Aeroplanes, in particular, can provide filmmakers with an extensive range of aerial capabilities, such as capturing high-speed scenes and shots with large, sweeping panoramas.
- Gather Footage Before Shooting—Using aeroplanes, drones and helicopters before shooting begins can help save time on set since it allows you to quickly scout locations and gather footage without worrying about capturing every angle during filming. This can also be useful for getting footage for establishing shots or visual continuity between different scenes in different locations.
- Set Up Shot Faster—Although it may seem counterintuitive, aeroplanes, drones and helicopters can help set up shots faster than traditional methods because they provide a much better overview of the area being filmed than ground-level cameras do. This gives directors an immediate understanding of how each scene should look and helps them make decisions quickly while producing high-quality results.
- Capture Unusual Shot—Aeroplanes, drones and helicopters aren’t just great for getting traditional shots; they also offer filmmakers access to unique visuals that wouldn’t be possible with any other camera setup. For example, you could use a drone to create an overhead shot that follows characters through a busy city street, a helicopter to fly in from above for a one-of-a-kind tracking shot that captures stunning landscapes as your subject moves through them, or an aeroplane to capture aerial views of vast landscapes, large crowds, or busy cities from a birds-eye perspective.
- Record Sound Effects—Drones aren’t just great for capturing visuals and offer filmmakers access to unique sound effects! For example, you could use a drone equipped with a microphone attached below it (known as “underwater audio”) to record sound effects like running water or wind rustling through trees – perfect if you need something special for your film score!
- Improve Safety on Set— Using aeroplanes, drones, and helicopters can improve safety by providing filmmakers with an alternative way of recording dangerous scenes without putting their actors at risk – such as capturing stunts or action sequences from far away rather than putting actors directly into harm’s way!
- Make Editing Easier—Another great benefit of using aeroplanes, drones and helicopters is that they make editing easier since they provide filmmakers with multiple angles at once, which helps reduce post-production time drastically! Plus, since these aircraft can move around quickly, you don’t have to worry about having too many takes, which further simplifies the editing process!
Aeroplanes, drones, and helicopters have revolutionized the world of filmmaking by creating opportunities previously thought impossible due to their ability to capture stunning visuals from unique angles while simultaneously providing filmmakers with an array of tools that help simplify both pre-production scouting processes and post-production editing tasks.
With all these advantages combined, it’s no wonder why more film directors are turning towards aerial vehicles when it comes time to shoot their next project!
So if you’re looking for ways to maximize efficiency during your next project, consider investing in aerial technology – you won’t regret it!
Let’s talk about your next project?
Check below some projects we used drones, helicopters and aeroplanes. Let us know your thoughts in the comments below!
Leave A Comment